We ended up really loving the flavor of the filling and since I have enough ingredients left will probably do this recipe again. I bet it would work well with other main proteins.
2 ounces cream cheese (1/4th of an 8-oz block), softened
1 Tbs mayonnaise
1 tsp minced onion or scallion
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp chopped fresh dill (or ½ tsp dried)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp lemon zest
4 oz lump crabmeat
salt and black pepper, to taste
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
¼ C seasoned dry breadcrumbs
non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl. Gently fold in crab. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
3. Cut horizontally through the center of each chicken breast, creating a pocket, being careful not to cut all the way through at any point.
4. Fill each pocket with equal amounts of the stuffing. Secure with toothpicks. Dredge each piece of chicken in the breadcrumbs and place on a baking sheet. Spray the breadcrumbs with cooking spray to moisten.
5. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until cooked through to 165 degrees in the center of the filling. Remove toothpicks and serve.